Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Yay. All fairing done!

Wow. After days of being a dust magnet I have pretty much finished sanding, fairing, filleting and shaping the hull. Looks pretty good. Have decided to have a fairly sharp bow. Towards the bottom of the stem it is radiused about 12mm and at the top about 6mm. Looks pretty cool.

Me, my sanding tools and dust! Lots of dust!!!

Tomorrows jobs.

Just have a little light sanding around the bow that will only take a few minutes.

Then a huge shed tidy up. Will clear all movable items out and give the shed a sweep, vacuum and mop ready for undercoating thursday.

Have decided on using Altex Paints. I have used them in the past and they hold up very well. We will roller and tip the paint on this time. Time to try a different technique.

Roller brush kit.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Transom and bow work. After J Class racing...

Took a bit of time out to go J Class Racing at the Christchurch Model Yacht Club on Lake Victoria in Hagley Park. A fairly big fleet with some gun old time racers involved. It was opening day today. Patrick did well. Finally feels like spring downunder.
When we came home Patrick put a couple of decorative pieces on the transom while I screed on some filler on the bow section. More sanding and filling tomorrow.
J98 is ours

They go well over the duck weed and are a good One Design class in Christchurch. New sails for next week.

Bit of late night work

Gluing, screwing and making a mess... No worse than dad though.

Bit of fairing. Hopefully can get bow looking goood. May go for fairly pointy bow I think.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Last parts of Keel fitted and transom tidied up.

Fitted last of keel structure. I had done the front so just had the beside centre case and rear half of keel to glue on. Used a generous fillet of glue powder. Hope it holds!

Transom had some work done. After this photo was taken. Pics tomorrow

Little helper. Marking out bits.

All on. Sand tomorrow.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

ONLY 12 Days left to win some Emirates Team New Zealand gear

Hi everyone

Two weeks to win some genuine Emirates Team New Zealand Gear. 
Emirates Team New Zealand have kindly donated a team shirt (size large) and hat for my monthly prize draw. 
Proceeds will help me on my way to represent New Zealand at the Noumea Optimist Sailing Nationals in December this year.

Just "ChipIn" any amount on my website www.maddogsailing.com  Winning  donation drawn end of August.  This awesome gear could be yours. 

Good Luck!

Patrick Haybittle

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mocking up keel

Spent earlier in day sanding boat bottom... Dusty.
This afternoon finished mocking up keel and stem cap. Will epoxy up spacers that go around centreboard hole tonight.
Big chunks of Kwilla

Stem cap came out pretty good. Will scarf to keel. Most excess epoxy will get faired in shortly.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Laminating bow cap.

The bow has a lot of exposed plywood if not capped. I ripped some kwila into thin planks so they bend easier. Marked a template of the bow, transfered the shape to some 18mm MDF and screwed on 2"x2" blocks. Wet out kwilla and then glued with thickened epoxy. All clamped. Should work well.


Wet out wood first with raw epoxy and then trowl on thickened epoxy.



Lots of clamps.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Epoxy coated and Amine blush washed off

I was away for a couple of days. My darling wife painted on raw epoxy onto the side planks. This is in preparation for Altex primer and two pack brushable polyurethane.

A good job for a young helper was to wash the amine blush off. This is a by product of epoxy as it hardens. It is water  soluble. We use some warm soapy water and a scotch brite pad.
Me and Dad

Scrubbing time

Friday, August 13, 2010


Long boarded lap joints to smooth. After discussion on the JW site, talking to Davie Norris and my experience with plywood jetboats we decideded to cover the boat with two layers of 200gm boat cloth. Hopefully will hack a bit more abrasion on beaches etc. 

Bevan at Davie Norris boat builders suggested laying glass across ways and cutting as this is more economical. Seemed to work well. The bow is fore/aft. All went on well. We added a layer of raw epoxy about two hours after as per the Gougeon Brothers West System book to fill the weave. We have done this before and works well. The last layer we added a mix of micro balloons to add some sandable bulk.

I'm glad Kelly was somewhat over her bronchitis and able to help for a couple of hours.

"This is how you long board Patrick"

Pretty quick and smooth.

Ready to glass.

I love fibreglassing

Two layers of glass. I'm hard on equipment!

Glassed to the first clinker panel

Chief Inspector. 

Yep. Good enough.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Glassing plank joins and a bit of bogging.

Scalloped butt joins, filled joint and then 3 layers of glass covered in peel ply. It is somewhat common for unglassed joints to crack over time thus exposing the end grain. Hopefully three layers of 200gm glass will cure this. Also did as much general filling of hull. A few more days work yet before painting. I also spent a bit of time yesterday using a syringe of raw epoxy to fill any pin hole gaps in the planks.

Scalloped wood and also added filler (not shown). 

Easier to wet out 3 layers of glass on plastic and cut into strips

Peel ply on

A syringe of raw epoxy used to get into joins works well.